Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Countdown

I went home and marked the surgery date on my calendar, and I started the countdown. 12 days until surgery. I wrote on each day 12, 11, 10, and so on. I tried not to think about it, but I also tried to be as realistic as possible. The first thing I did was tell my mom something that I found to be very important. I told her that if I was to die, don't ever be sad that I died at a young age because I have lived a full and happy life up to this point. I told her that I have done more in my short time on earth than most people I know. The only 2 things I missed out on was having children and traveling. If those are the ONLY 2 things I miss out on....I can definitely be happy about that! I know she was sad to have this talk with me, but it's reality. At my pre-op, the first question I asked was about my hair. How much hair are they going to shave off and where exactly? I explained that I work in the public eye and if I look like a circus freak, it will affect me personally along with my job. My surgeon explained that he would shave the smallest line possible from past the left middle of my head over to the front of my right ear. He promised me I would be able to hide it as long as I styled my hair the same. He explained that they would take a tool similar to a dremel and shave all of the over-grown bones back down to their normal size and shape. I was told that my right eye would swell closed where I couldn't see. He pretty much walked me through the "virtual" surgery. If only it were that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment